In the course of the next two months my first book will be coming out.(January 26, 2010 to be precise.) I feel great about it but I think there's a certain need to be respectful of the accompanying fear that goes along with that fanciful anticipation. For instance, I don't know, exactly, what I'll be doing at all these events the publisher is lining up. What will I read? Do I figure that out depending on the geographical location or do I go with my gut and twist the audience a bit by not reading what they might expect?
When I was with Norman Mailer for all those years he had the same bit of trepidation, believe it or not. He was always over-prepared for his events. i.e., he had a propensity for asking me to make sure that he had several selections to read from. I don't know that he actually liked to read for audiences--I think he liked speaking off the cuff more, but honestly I never asked him and he never offered it up. What I DID learn from him was that a writer has to sell his work. Yup, even Mailer. He felt an obligation to do what he needed to do to make sure that the work was read and that people knew HE had written it. They may not have always gotten it (it was often complicated) and they may not have wholly embraced his opinions but they knew for sure that he had something important to say. And, when he greeted an audience he tried, I believe, to embrace them in the most honest way. He spoke and let his eyes twinkle and he seduced them. And he was always engaging and polite.
Obviously that is a hard act to follow. I have no intention of trying beyond the action of showing up, reading a bit of the book I've written about him (about us) and then informing the listeners that Norman was a good man; a good father and husband and friend.
What more is there really?
It is my hope that people will follow this blog (as soon as it's discovered!) and see that this writer who is here for you to read is rife with doubt and excitement.
So, let the games begin. Tick tick goes the clock, down to the time when my book is to be released. I hope you read it if you've stumbled upon this blog site. I hope there is something good in it that strikes you. Mornings with Mailer was a work of love. That's all I have to say about it. Of course I've much more to say, to write, but that is for later posts. Cheers!
Wednesday, December 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment